Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Road to Shellman

Sweet Mama and I went on a field trip yesterday to Shellman, Ga. For those of you who don't know where that is, it is in the southwestern part of the state...a tiny little farm town. We were on a journey to see Sweet Mama's grandparents. This was where they were born and are buried. It is a small rural church cemetery on the outskirts of Shellman. It was a nice drive down with her brother and sister-in-law. He likes to go the backroads so we took the road less travelled. He had been there before but not Sweet Mama! He is six years older than her, so he filled us in with family facts.
I took some pictures for Red. She is out of town visiting Precious in college. Red is doing some genealogy research, so I took some pictures of the plots for her. Sweet Mama's mother and father were the youngest of their siblings. Her father was born in1899. So by the time Sweet Mama was born in 1936, folks had begun to die. Her grandfather died in 1928..her grandmother, whom she did know, in 1954. As for the others in the plot...we don't know how they are related. Red has lots of work to do!
FYI....In southwest Ga...lots of gnats! I was trying to write down information while literally being swarmed with gnats! Tons of them. I looked at my arm at one point and it was covered! I hope I got all the info that was needed...but who knows. You would have though something was wrong with me the way I was swatting and hopping around. Quite a site! I guess we will be back in cooler weather..by then the gnats will be gone...hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment